Fruity French Lentils (Lentil Salad)
My favorite things about Fruity French Lentils:
- I picked some ingredients from my garden in the morning (raspberries, parsley, basil)
- The kids and I had fun making it
- It’s so easy
Thank you HeatherFeatherWorld (Perth, Australia) for this posting this yummy lentil salad. It’s a delicious way for those of us in the United States to celebrate the fruits and herbs of summer!
Fruity French Lentils
Recipe by HeatherFeatherWorld
(slightly modified by Striving Bean)
Serves 4 to 6
You can make the lentils a day ahead. Store in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/8 cup chopped basil
- 1/8 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 or 2 tsp strawberry jam
- balsamic vinegar (for seasoning)
- tamari sauce (for seasoning)
- chopped avocado (optional – I love avocado)
- Rinse and drain lentils.
- Place lentils in saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to boil.
- Simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool.
- Add basil, parsley, and walnuts to cooled lentils.
- Add raspberries to lentil mixture and gently stir.
- Stir together the orange juice and jam in a small bowl. Pour over the lentil mixture and mix well.
- Season with tamari sauce and balsamic vinegar to taste
- Chill for 30 minutes
- Top with chopped avocado before serving.
Our family weighs in:
- Daughter said it was “kind of yummy”
- Son ate it with a little coaxing
- Husband liked it
- I liked it too – it’s a keeper
- For my kids’ tastes: Next time I’ll leave out the herbs and use almonds instead of walnuts.
- Serve over spinach for a greener salad experience.
By the way, lentils are not beans (they are a legume). But Striving Bean considers it “close enough”!