Butter Bean Cookies (Snappy Apple Cookies)
You’ll feel good about serving your family these healthy and flavorful Butter Bean Cookies! They also contain flaxseed and apples. Wow – super healthy!
These cookies are soft and chewy. The flavor and texture is similar to gingerbread with a little kick from the ginger and other spices.
ALWAYS store these cookies in the refrigerator since they contain beans and fresh fruit. You can warm them in the microwave for 5 seconds on high for a room temperature taste.
Snappy Apple Cookies
Yields 3 dozen cookies
- 1 1/2 cups (1.5 cups) all-purpose flour
- 8 small ginger snap cookies, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups (1.5 cups) diced apples (about 1 to 2 apples)
- One 15 oz. can butter beans (if canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (try ground cloves if you don’t have garam masala)
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (0.5 cup) milk
- 1/4 cup (0.25 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (0.5 cup) sugar
- Additional sugar for flattening cookies (optional)
- 1/4 cup (0.5 cup) molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) sea salt
- 1/4 cup (0.25 cup) milled flax seed
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Melt the butter in the microwave.
- Puree butter beans, molasses, and melted butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- Add crushed ginger snaps to dry ingredients.
- Mix wet & dry ingredients gently.
- Gently fold in apples.
- Drop a large spoonful on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Flatten cookies – press cookies with cup dipped in additional sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to cooking racks.
Store in refrigerator (since these contain beans and fresh fruit) in an air tight container up to 3 days.
You can freeze these cookies. To reheat frozen cookies, heat individually in microwave for 10 seconds.
Like chocolate? Check out my Dark Chocolate Cookies made with black beans!
Recipe originally posted at PracticalMum.com (Thanks Shelagh!)